Friday, October 10, 2014

Who teases the Fonz?

I know I am showing my age, but Happy Days was THE BIG show when I was in elementary school.  The Fonz was one of the cool guys and no one messed with him.
Ayyyyeeee, I'm the Fonz!




But in real life,  he was teased by his castmates for not being able to learn his lines fast enough.  In fact, he created his famous tagline - AYYYYEEEEEEE, in order to replace actual lines with something easier to remember.  He also confesses to making fun of himself to cover up his distress.  Those who parent or teach dyslexic children are familiar with this type of behavior.


After Happy Days, he went on to write a series of children's books.  Hank Zipser, the main character, is a dyslexic 4th grader, based on Winkler's struggles and experiences.  As one of my students told me,  "Hank is pretty much ME!"

Winkler brought his Hank character to life on the small screen and his books are being made into a TV show in Britain.  Seems like American producers wanted Hank's character to be "less dyslexic".


Less dyslexic?  Downplay the very real struggles that Hank deals with daily.  Portray him as "less" than who he is... so that he will be more...what?  Any answer really is insulting.  



Whatchu talkin' 'bout, American Producers?!








No comments:

Post a Comment