Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Testing, testing, testing, now what?

So you suspect something is not on track with your child's reading, you have your child tested and find out there IS a problem.  Now what?

This is where things often get delayed.  Finding the right help, getting teachers to listen and work with you, getting family members on board and dealing with the emotions of the process.

The reality of the situation is that as a parent you will need to prepare yourself to be your child's advocate.  You will need to read and inform yourself about topics you know nothing about.   You will need to realize that most teachers haven't been trained to recognize or treat dyslexia - and that applies to special ed teachers.  You will need to know what exactly your school district considers appropriate intervention and be prepared to tell them why it is NOT appropriate.  You will need to decide what you are willing to fight for and what you are willing to compromise on.  You will absolutely need to thicken your skin.

  I have personally been told by people in my school district that...
1) I worried wayyyyyyyy too much about the fact my kid couldn't read.
2) I wasn't working hard enough to teach him to read.
3) I was damaging his self esteem by working with him and it would be much better to put him in school where he didn't feel so much pressure.
4) I was unrealistic to think that he might be able to read at grade level, not every kid does, you know.
5) He may be just faking not being able to read to get more of my attention being I had "so many" kids and all.
6) Anyone can pay a psychologist to write up anything about their child so a private diagnosis is suspect( as opposed to a public school district who can write what they want because they DON'T want to pay for it? Grrrrr)

Most of the parents I speak to have similar stories.  If you have one, please post it!


Wrightslaw is an excellent website that is invaluable to parents navigating the waters of special ed, dyslexia, ADHD, anything.  It is broken down into categories and easy to read
Their information on navigating IEP meetings is excellent.  I wish I had known about this website before my first IEP meeting, it may have gone......ahem, better.


How can I get the school to provide an appropriate program? 


No comments:

Post a Comment