Monday, October 8, 2012

The Sisyphean Task


I love Greek Myths.  I love how the Greek gods are all just a bit whacked and mete out their kooky brand of justice all over the cosmos.  Hercules gets to clean out filthy horse stalls as part of his 12 labors.  This cracks me up every time. Is cleaning out stalls  REALLY as horrible as killing the Hydra or kidnaping Cerberus?  Maybe not, but certainly has to be more humbling.  And who can forget Sisyphus, doomed to spend his eternity pushing a boulder up a hill and watching it roll down?  My kitchen is like that - just as I get it clean, a wave of hungry teenage testosterone zooms thru and I start again at the bottom.

For kids who struggle with reading issues, school is a lot like their rock.  They get to go each day to a place where the main focus is on the one thing they don't do well.  And when they don't perform, very often they get to lose the parts of the day that don't include reading and that they probably enjoy - recess, art, music, etc. Then they get to come home with homework that takes them 2x as long as other kids, go to bed, and start the cycle over again for 180 days, years on end.  For 12 years.  Awesome, right?!  Ugh.

Rick Lavoie does workshops for parents and teachers pointing out the Herculean task their children face every day trying to keep up in school.  Showing HOW kids think and learn differently.  I always hope I never did any of these things teaching lower grades, but I know I have.  When you know better, you do better, now I DO know better.

The sound quality is not great on this clip, but the message is important.












No comments:

Post a Comment