Thursday, September 27, 2012

I am so incredibly humbled to sit on the board of the Tennessee Branch of the International Dyslexia Association.  I honestly can't believe that they let me come, the other members are such interesting, knowledgeable people with years of experience in education, law, business and advocacy, and I am just plain old me.  Not that there is anything particularly wrong with me, I am really honored to be a part of something so much bigger than just my small corner of the world!

That being said, October is Dyslexia Awareness Month.  My little outreach is going to be Facebook and blog posts!  As an advocate for people with dyslexia, it is frustrating to listen to the mis-information that is often passed around and by those in the field of education.  Teachers are not taught to teach reading at the University level.  Schools and school boards are fascinated by new educational theories and buzzwords, many of which are actually detrimental to students, particularly in the area of literacy.  Parents look to teachers as guides to help them advocate to their children and often times they get misinformation.  It takes an average of 18 months for a child to start remediation after a diagnosis of dyslexia - and not even necessarily the correct help.  This must change.

Every day I will post a little something.  Share it with your friends on your FB pages and blogs.  Help me spread good information.  If a teacher's little warning bell goes off about a student, if a parent wonders uncomfortably about a child and seeks more information, I will be happy!  For those that know me well, I am without my NHL this year, and I need a little extra HAPPY! Make me happy and talk dyslexia with me.

Fact: Gordie Howe was dyslexic.....like that segue?

Here is our TN IDA website.  Check it out even if you are not in Tennessee!
www.tnida.org

Pam





No comments:

Post a Comment